The government have committed to provide dedicated Physical Education and Sports Premium funding for primary schools to improve PE and sports activities. This funding has been allocated directly to primary schools who have a certain degree of autonomy with how they spend it.
Many schools utilise this funding in the following areas:
- Hire specialist PE teachers
- Hire qualified sports coaches to work with teachers
- Provide existing staff with teaching resources to help them teach PE and sport
- Support and involve the least active children by running or extending school sports clubs to after school
- Run sport competitions or increase pupils’ participation in the School Games
- Run sports activities with other schools
All pupils leaving primary school physically literate and with the knowledge, skills and motivation necessary to equip them for a healthy, active lifestyle and lifelong participation in physical activity and sport.
The allocation we received for 2020/21 was £16,855.
Full breakdown of how the funding has been spent:
- £11,780.00 Gymnastics, swimming, tennis, skateboarding, scooting, surfing coaching
- £3,340.00 Primary School Sports Service Level Agreement
- £1,735.00 Transport
Impact to be evaluated
- School staff gain valuable CPD when working alongside specialists which has a positive impact on their practice.
- Staff access a wide range of training provided by the Primary School Sports Officer which supports the provision of a varied and exciting PE curriculum for all children.
We use specialist sports coaches as well as teachers to deliver the curriculum and access off-site provision for gymnastics, swimming and other sports when appropriate.